Abaya dresses are traditionally seen as symbols of modesty and religious faith. However, in recent years, they have also become popular fashion items, particularly among young Muslim women who seek to express their personal style while still adhering to Islamic guidelines on modesty. From its traditional origins to modern interpretations, abaya fashion is a great suit to enhance any woman’s style. In this guide, we will explore the beauty of abayas and how you can style them to create an elegant look that suits your taste.
Types of Abaya Dresses
With a variety of options available, you can surely find an abaya that perfectly suits your needs. Have a look at the types below:
1. The Traditional Abaya
This type of abaya is typically black and is made from a heavy fabric such as wool or cotton. It is usually floor-length and covers the entire body, except for the head, hands, and feet.
2. The Modest Abaya
This form of abaya is more modest than the traditional version and is typically made from a lightweight fabric such as chiffon or silk. It often has long sleeves and covers the body from the neck to the ankles.
3. The Embellished Abaya
Having intricate embroidery or beading on it, this abaya is made to give a very attractive and stylish look. It can be made from any type of fabric but is often seen in silks and chiffon.
4. The Contemporary Abaya
A bit more modern in style and the contemporary one is often seen with shorter length skirts or even trousers beneath it. They can come in a variety of colors and fabrics, making them perfect for those wanting something more contemporary yet still modest.
5. The Everyday Abaya
Being simple and comfortable, an everyday abaya is ideal daily wear, as the name suggests. It can be made from a variety of fabrics such as cotton, linen, or polyester and is usually knee-length or mid-calf-length.
6. Single-layer abaya dresses
Simplest in design, consisting of a single layer of fabric that covers the body from head to toe, they are typically made from lightweight fabrics such as chiffon or georgette, making them ideal for hot weather conditions. Single-layer abayas often come in solid colors, and simple prints, and can be styled with accessories such as a scarf or belt to add a touch of personalization.
7. Multi-layer abaya dresses
As the name suggests, multi-layer abaya dresses feature multiple layers of fabric, which create a more voluminous look. They are typically made from heavier fabrics such as brocade or velvet, making them better suited for cooler weather conditions. Multi-layer abayas often have intricate details such as beadwork or embroidery and can be styled with a matching headscarf and gloves for a complete look.
8. Denim abaya dresses
Denim abayas are a modern twist on the classic style. These abayas are a popular choice for special occasions such as weddings or family gatherings, as they provide both modesty and style. Whether you're running errands or meeting up with friends, you'll always look chic in a denim abaya dress.
9. Styling an abaya dress
While there is no limit to tips to style an abaya, the most impactful styling tips have been listed below.
- Wearing it as a simple, loose-fitting gown: This is the most traditional way to wear an abaya dress, and it can be very elegant and stylish. Simply drape the dress over your head and let it fall loosely around your body. You can wear a belt at the waist if you like, or leave the dress non-belted for a more relaxed look.
- Pairing it with skinny jeans: If you want to add a bit of edge to your look, try pairing your abaya dress with a pair of skinny jeans. This can be a great look for daytime or evening. Just make sure that your jeans are not too tight, or they will look out of place with the flowing lines of the abaya dress.
- Wearing it as a top: An abaya dress can also make a great top when paired with pants or a skirt. Just put on the dress as you would any other top, tucking it in at the waist if necessary. This is a great option if you want to show off your curves while still maintaining modesty.
- Accessorize the dress: To accessorize an abaya dress, you can add a belt, scarf, or another accessory to the outside of the dress depending on the type of look you are looking to create.
For a more casual look, pair the dress with simple accessories such as a scarf or belt. For a more formal look, add jewelry or a headscarf.
Add a pop of color and style to your outfit by layering a colorful cardigan over the top of an abaya. This is a great way to add some extra warmth on cooler days, and the colorful cardigan will brighten up your look. Just make sure that the cardigan isn't too bulky so that it doesn't overwhelm your outfit.
If you want to wear a hijab with your abaya dress, choose a color that coordinates well with the dress.
Abaya dresses are a great way to stay stylish and comfortable at the same time. With just a few simple styling tips, you can take your abaya dress from plain to chic in no time. Whether you opt for bold colors or sleek silhouettes, pairing your abaya dress with jewelry, belts, scarves and more will ensure that you look amazing while still adhering to the traditional Islamic standards of modesty. So get creative and show off your unique style with an effortlessly cool abaya dress today!