Belts can be worn for several fashion purposes; you can style casual outfits and secure oversized pants with suspenders. If you are searching for a particular type of belt for a particular purpose, start by familiarizing yourself with the different types of mens belt. By adding a belt to your outfit, you can add color to your otherwise boring attire. Belts come in a vast range that suits several formal or casual situations.
Types of Belts
Many formal and casual belts demonstrate different accents to a given outfit. Some belts have a unique function. Here are a couple of belts to go for-
- Formal Belts - These belts are usually worn with formal outfits such as suits or dress slacks. It is known as a cummerbund; it is a pleated fabric worn with a tuxedo or suit as a belt. It is a common type of formal men’s belt used as an alternative to suede belts as they are considered more semi-formal. However, people do wear suede belts with formal attires as well.
- Leather Belts - Leather belts can be worn with casual and formal outfits. They are usually available in black or brown color. Most of them are made from cowhide or faux leather that keeps the pair of pants from slipping down. Some sites offer matching men wallet with belts too. These would look great with leather shoes.
- Braided Belts - This belt got its name from its style. It is made up of leather pieces braided together to create a plaited, solid piece of material. These belts can be worn with formal outfits; however, people tend to wear them more casually.
- Obi Belts - This is a kind of wrap belt that includes a large, thick piece of fabric or leather that goes around an individual's midriff and is tied into a bow. It is a popular choice of belt to style for Japanese kimonos or martial arts.
- Chain Belts - As its name suggests, it is made of a piece of chain metal that is used to style an outfit. It is used as an accessory and sits at a person's hips or midsection.
- Cinch Belts - These are wide-styled belts that are used to cinch one's waist, and it adds shape to a silhouette. These are available in leather, fabric, or elastic material that stretches to adjust to your appropriate size.
- D-ring Belts- These belts fasten with two d-shaped rings instead of the typical belt buckle and notch system. The end tip of this belt is threaded through to hold in place. They can be found in different materials such as canvas, cotton, or some other fabric material rather than leather.
There are several other kinds of belts available in the market.
Styling a Belt
The right belt can turn a decent outfit into an amazing one that can help you stand out from the crowd. Here are some styling tips for men n women that can be useful-
- For tops- Tops are usually perfect the way they are. You don't need to belt a top. However, long cardigans or sweaters can be worn with jeans, and then you can belt them. If you choose to leave them untucked, then don't put on effort to belt them. If you wish to emphasize your waist, tucking in and then belting them is the most appropriate way to do it.
- Jeans and pants- Wear a belt only if the pants have belt loops; otherwise, the weight of men’s wallets and other things in your pockets will probably make the pants slip, and you'll pass your day worrying and trying unsuccessfully to keep it centered on your waistband.
- Dresses- Belts are the best way to add extra shape and visual appeal to dresses. They can and should be used to add an extra tint of color, but you should be careful if you're creating a shape where there is none. Bunching a lot of fabric to create a waist appearance will change the way the dress drapes and can make it look a little sloppy.
- Skirts- High-waist skirts look amazing with belts. However, ensure that the skirt band rests properly on your natural waist so that the belt doesn't slip off and give you trouble.
- Coats- Most coats already come with their own belt. Use them. Don't replace those belts with some of your belts, as it looks labored and conspicuous. Your outfit should look easy and natural.
You can style men’s belts with your outfits as it is easily available in different colors and sizes on online sites.
A good belt can improve any outfit, and the wrong one can leave you looking like a complete mess with zero fashion sense. You can't just wear the same men’s belt on every outfit. There are several other kinds of belts that you can choose from and get quality products at the best price. Make sure your belt game is on point with the tips mentioned above.